vendredi 19 octobre 2007

Commentaires suite au sondage délibératif "Tomorrow's Europe"

(publié sur le site www.tomorrowseurope.eu)

Now that the results have been published, I'd like to share an observation and ask a question.

Whether the results of the poll will be taken in account or not, the value of this event may at least come from its symbolic strength. In France, where deliberative democracy remains curiously rejected, when not unknown, I explained to local representatives what happened in Brussels last week-end, and I could observe their interest for this kind of procedure.

In France, participatory democracy consists in purely consultative institutions, enabling citizens only to talk about minor topics and giving them only partial information. My greatest hope is that the success of procedures such as deliberative polling will show french local representatives that it is possible to give citizens a place in major decision-making processes.


My question concerns a specific part of the poll, which is the enlargement of EU. About this question, I wonder if certain results are really valuable from a deliberative point of view. Debates aboute the global idea of enlargement have been really rich and well-informed, but I don't think it was the case when citizens adressed questions about specific candidate countries. For example, when small group discussions turned to Turkey, I noticed a few prejudices and mistakes about this country and about muslim culture, which weren't corrected during the debate.

That's why my question is : refering to the values of deliberation, was it legitimate to talk about of specific countries in the absence of citizens from these countries ? Can we really deliberate about Turkey or Ukraine joining the EU if we don't hear the arguments of Turkish or Ukrainian citizens ?

Of course, I don't mean that you should have invited them to this week-end, I guess that organizing this event was difficult enough ! I just suggest that the membership of specific countries might better have not been adressed this time. Maybe a topic for a future deliberative polling on Black Sea's shore ?

Aucun commentaire: